Women, Infants & Children Nutrition, Education & Supplemental Food Program


What is WIC?

The Women, Infants, and Children Nutrition, Education, and Supplemental Food Program (WIC) is a federal program.

The WIC program:
  • Supports breastfeeding
  • Encourages regular prenatal and health care
  • Works with Family Case Management to assure access
  • Promotes nutrition and improved health through education
  • Gains access to online self-study lessons on Wichealth.org
  • Provides nutrition foods for health, growth, and development including food vouchers accepted by many local vendors

What do I need to bring to my WIC appointment?

It is important that you bring everything listed below to your appointment otherwise we may be unable to provide service to you.

For Certification Appointments:

  • Your child
  • Proof of residential address (the Illinois Medical Care card is no longer an acceptable proof of address)
  • 2 recent paycheck stubs for each person in the household, or proof of an active SNAP case (an award letter or the ability to display an active case screen by logging into the SNAP website)
  • Immunization records (if the child received shots at a place other than the health department)
  • Completed Medically Prescribed Formula Form (PDF) (only needed if formula is prescribed to you by your doctor)

For Nutrition/Education Session:

  • Your WIC ID folder
  • Proof of address (if your address is different since your last appointment)

WIC Eligibility Guidelines

To view the WIC Eligibility Guidelines for July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019, click here.

Nutritious food packages and coupons are provided without cost to pregnant, postpartum, or nursing women who demonstrate a need as determined by meeting the following criteria: 

  • Is a resident of McLean County
  • Is pregnant or has had a baby in the past six months
  • Has a child younger than 5 years old
  • Has physical, nutritional, and financial need as determined by an evaluation and screening
  • Meets income guidelines
USDA Nondiscrimination- The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal and, where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or if all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)
If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online here or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, or by fax (202) 690-7442.
Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities and wish to file either an EEO or program complaint please contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136 (in Spanish).
Persons with disabilities, who wish to file a program complaint, please see information above on how to contact us by mail directly or by email. If you require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) please contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.