Planning and preparing before an emergency will go far in protecting yourself and loved ones. In addition to creating an emergency plan and having an emergency kit, below are more ways to make sure you and your loved ones stay safe when disaster strikes.
*Project funded by the Illinois Department of Public Health. Views expressed on this website do not necessarily represent the official views of the CDC.
- Get your flu shots and all other recommended vaccinations.
- Regularly check your emergency kit supplies. Replace any food that is outdated.
- Check that batteries in your emergency kit are fresh and working.
- Regularly review your emergency plan with everyone in your house, especially children.
- Make sure all pets are up-to-date on vaccinations.
- Take a Red Cross first aid and CPR class.
- Make sure you have adequate insurance.
- Conduct a home hazard hunt.
- Show each able family member how and when to turn off the water, gas and electricity at the main switches.
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, especially near bedrooms.