A Cottage Food operation may produce homemade food and drink. However, a Cottage Food operation, unless properly licensed, certified, and compliant with all requirements to sell a listed food item under the laws and regulations pertinent to that food item, shall not sell
or offer to sell the following food items, except
- Meat, poultry, fish, seafood, or shellfish
- Dairy, except as an ingredient in a non-potentially hazardous baked good or candy, such as caramel, subject to paragraph (4), or as an ingredient in a baked good frosting, such as buttercream
- eggs, except as an ingredient in a non-potentially hazardous food, including dry noodles, or as an ingredient in a baked good frosting, such as buttercream, if the eggs are not raw.
- Pumpkin pies, sweet potato pies, cheesecakes, custard pies, creme pies, and pastries with potentially hazardous fillings or toppings
- Garlic in oil or oil infused with garlic, except if the garlic oil is acidified.
- low acid* canned food
- Cut leafy greens, except for leafy greens that are dehydrated, acidified, or blanched and frozen
- Cut or pureed fresh tomato or melon
- Frozen cut melon
- Wild-harvested, non-cultivated mushrooms
- Alcoholic beverages
*Definition of low acid
"Low-acid canned food" means any canned food with a finished equilibrium pH greater than 4.6 and a water activity(aw) greater than 0.85