Submit a Smoking Complaint
Submit a Smoking Complaint
The McLean County Health Department enforces the Smoke-Free Illinois Act and follows up with submitted complaints.
Complete this form to submit a complaint regarding a potential violation of the Smoke-Free Illinois Act observed in McLean County. If you have trouble filling out this form, please call (309) 888-5968.
Get the facts about the Smoke-Free Illinois Act
The Smoke-Free Illinois Act is a comprehensive tobacco control law that took effect in Illinois on January 1, 2008, and requires that public places and places of employment be completely smoke-free inside and within 15 feet from entrances, exits, windows that open and ventilation intakes. This includes but is not limited to:
- Public places and buildings, offices, elevators, restrooms, theaters, museums, libraries, educational institutions, schools, commercial establishments, enclosed shopping centers and retail stores
- Restaurants, bars, taverns and gaming facilities
- Lobbies, reception areas, hallways, meeting rooms, waiting rooms, break rooms and other common-use areas
- Concert halls, auditoriums,
- enclosed or partially enclosed sports arenas, bowling alleys, skating rinks,
- convention facilities, polling places and private clubs
- Hospitals, health care facilities, health care clinics, child care, adult care or other similar social service care
- no less than 75 percent of hotel or motel sleeping quarters rented to guests
- Public conveyances, government-owned vehicles and vehicles open to the public
Businesses must clearly post No Smoking signs at every entrance stating that smoking is prohibited. All ashtrays must be removed from any area where smoking is prohibited. No Smoking signs are available to print using the links below. No Smoking window decals, with or without the inclusion of e-cigarettes, are available for FREE at the health department by calling (309) 888-5968.
Are there any restrictions on how e-cigarettes may be used?
E-cigarettes and other electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) are not directly covered by the Smoke-Free Illinois Act, however, many businesses and communities are choosing to expand their local smoke-free policies to prohibit them the same as other smoking devices.
Banning e-cigarettes in places where smoking is otherwise prohibited is legal, easy to do, and preferred by most people. Visit our E-cigarette page to learn more.
The health department offers FREE long-lasting window decals (5" x 7") to help you communicate that there is no smoking, including e-cigarettes, in your place of business. We can also provide guidance and support to any business or organization wishing to ban e-cigarettes. For more information or to order, please contact (309) 888-5968.