The following interim guidance may help prevent workplace exposure to acute respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19, in non-healthcare settings. The guidance also provides planning considerations if there are more widespread, community outbreaks of COVID-19.
To prevent stigma and discrimination in the workplace, use only the guidance described below to determine the risk of COVID-19. Do not make determinations of risk based on race or country of origin, and be sure to maintain the confidentiality of people with confirmed COVID-19. There is much more to learn about the transmissibility, severity, and other features of COVID-19 and investigations are ongoing. Updates are available on CDC’s web page at www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/covid19.
Recommended strategies for employers to use now:
- Actively encourage sick employees to stay home:
- Separate sick employees:
- Emphasize staying home when sick, respiratory etiquette and hand hygiene by all employees:
- Perform routine environmental cleaning:
- Advise employees before traveling to take certain steps:
- Additional Measures in Response to Currently Occurring Sporadic Importations of the COVID-19: