What if I have sold the property?
It takes a number of months for the name change to go through all of the departments until it is finally changed on the tax bill. If you receive a tax bill for a parcel that you have sold please forward the bill on to the new owner and then contact the County Assessor’s Office at (309) 888-5130 to see when and if the change has been made.

Show All Answers

1. What is property tax?
2. Who pays property taxes and who is affected by them?
3. What if I object to my tax bill?
4. What if I don't receive my tax bill?
5. How much are interest penalties and when are interest charges assessed?
6. How is my tax bill calculated?
7. How much is the convenience fee for paying by credit card?
8. Where can I pay my taxes?
9. What if I have sold the property?
10. Can I make a partial payment?
11. Does the Treasurer's Office send receipts for taxes that are paid?
12. Who do I call if there is a problem with my tax bill?